Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Our EVOOs are the first cold press, meaning there is no heat involved during extraction, and the oil is of highest quality-below 1% acidity. They go beyond the IOCC (International Olive Oil Council) testing standards by including key factors to determine the oils worthiness of the ultra-premium standard. Our oils are all-natural and have no artificial additives or flavor enhancements. Each bottle of our extra virgin olive oil we sell is bottled fresh daily and meets the exact chemistry which we proudly display on our product description cards, including crush date since fresh crushed EVOO’s yield the most flavor and nutrients. All of our olive oils and specialty oils are Non-GMO Project Verified.
HeaIth Benefits of EVOO
Olive oil has been part of the healthy Mediterranean diet for years, which is recommended by such prestigious institutions as the Mayo Clinic. In depth research on olive oil is revealing its multi-faceted health benefits including:
- Reducing the risk of cancer – The polyphenols in olive oil reduce cancer risks by lowering inflammation and cellular proliferation. In addition, the vitamins and antioxidants in olive oil have been shown to combat the free radicals associated with various forms of cancer.
- Reducing the risk of heart attack – Olive oil lowers the levels of total blood cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol and triglycerides, but does not alter the levels of HDL-cholesterol. These effects have contributed to the low incidence of heart failure in countries where olive oil is the principal fat consumed.
- Reducing belly fat – Olive oil helps the body to metabolize fat and sugar in an effective way so that the fat does not accumulate on the abdomen. The addition of olive oil to your diet changes the metabolism of your body so that you will start to burn belly fat more quickly.
All true Balsamic Vinegars are made from a white Tebbiano or Lambrusco grape must, which is the freshly pressed fruit juice that contains the skins, seeds, and stems of the grapes. Our dark and white Balsamic Vinegars are of the highest quality and are made in Modena, Italy from only these grapes. We refer to our dark balsamic as, “Traditional Style Condimento, Aged up to 18 years.” The grape must is cooked over an open wood fire and is cooked down to the same consistency, density and dry solid extracts. The wood-fire-cooked grape must is then put directly into aged, fired wood barrels. The barrels as well as the product they once contained, add character and complexity in flavor to the must. The probiotics wild yeast and acetic bacteria colonize it and eventually raise the acidity. It slowly ages in this manner and turns into “vinegar” over the up to 18 year aging process. By Italian law, it must then be tested for quality by measuring many specific criteria, such as, the dry extract solids. Our condimento’s very low acidity of 4.5% is a function of the grape must being naturally cooked down, condensed and aged without the addition of thickeners and sweeteners. All of our vinegars are Non-GMO Project Verified.
Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
Balsamic vinegar is popular throughout the world and its uses have gone far beyond providing flavorful salad dressings. Here are some of its array of health benefits:
- Aiding in weight loss – According to studies, balsamic vinegar is a source of calcium, iron, manganese and potassium, which improve the body’s functioning and weight loss abilities. Low in calories, it also helps to curb the body’s appetite and prevents overeating.
- Regulates blood sugar – Balsamic vinegar is low on the glycemic index, providing slower and more controlled changes to glucose levels. It can improve insulin sensitivity for diabetics, allowing for an easier regulation of blood sugar and reducing unpleasant side effects from diabetes.
- Aids in digestion – The polyphenols in balsamic vinegar boost the activity of pepsin, an enzyme that breaks protein down into smaller amino acids that can be more easily absorbed by the body. Effective amino acid absorption enables the body to utilize it for cell building, repair and other body maintenance work.